Eating and Drinking Habits
Eating habits play an important part in your sleep routine, particularly, what you eat a few hours before your bedtime.
A couple of rules to follow to get good night sleep.
- Finish eating at least two hours and drinking at least 30 minutes before your bedtime.
- Limit your caffeine and nicotine intake, excessive intake results in sleep problems or disrupts your sleep badly.
- Be careful while taking night meals. Avoid heavy, spicy, or acidic food especially close to bedtime.
- Try to escape alcohol intake before bedtime; it causes interference with your sleep cycle.
- Keep sugary foods and refined carbs aside they get you out of deep sleep i.e. get you out of restorative stages of sleep.
- Drinking excessive liquids close to bedtime gives rise to recurrent bathroom trips to the entire night.
5. Set aside your stress, worry, and anger
These elements make you unable to sleep or sometimes trigger waking up night after night.
Only the following few tips will help you to control your emotions.
- When you are closer to your bedtime dim the lights.
- Try to read a book or magazine, consider soft light for reading. Or listen to any good audio.
- Visualize something peaceful; this will help you feel relax
- Try some stretching exercises.
- Take a bath with warm water; this aids muscle relaxation.
- Involve in your favorite hobby.
- Prepare your to-do list for next day
- Soft music is also a good option.
6. Ideal Sleep Environment
Silent and tranquil environment improves the quality of sleep. Here are a few small changes that will bring a big difference in your sleep routine
- Exclude all noise sources such as traffic, neighborhood, etc.
- Select a moderately cool room (ideal temperature is around 65° F or 18° C); very cold or very hot room cause disturbance in your sleep routine.
- Choose appropriate mattress, pillow, and bed cover that will make you comfortable during sleep.
- Try to avoid using a bed for daily chores like using laptops, watching TV, etc. it will help your brain to wind down easily at night.
7. Falling back asleep quickly
Normally, waking up during the night is common but if falling back asleep is difficult for you; you can follow the tips given below:
- Do not pressurize your brain to fall asleep, instead, make relaxation your goal.
- Try breathing exercises.
- Consider low-intensity bedtime yoga poses.
- Have a go in virtualization mode, try meditation.
- Try any non-stimulating activity i.e. read book or listen to soft music.
- Avoid worrying and brainstorming; write them on a paper for the next day.
To be continued …